Easy as Pie!
This has always been a favorite of mine. I hope you enjoy making this delicious heartwarming meal from scratch with carrots, peas and celery.
1-1 ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup frozen green peas
½ cup sliced celery
1 stick butter
½ medium chopped onion
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. In a saucepan, combine potatoes, carrots, peas and salt. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, add butter and cook chicken until no longer pink. Add onions and celery cook until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Combine chicken and vegetable mixture, pour pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.